On International Women’s Day, the BBC have announced that they will air four FA Women’s Super League programmes next season which will provide highlights, goal round-ups and features.
It will be the first WSL coverage on terrestial television and may prove to be a huge step forward in giving more media coverage to women’s football. BBC Sport will also feature a weekly goals round-up throughout the WSL season.
In addition, there will be a preview of the women’s FA Cup final aired on the 20th May, a week before the match will be shown live on BBC Two. A programme previewing the European Championships this summer will also be shown.
This news makes 2013 an exciting year for women’s football, with the following programmes being shown on terrestial TV:
- FA Cup final preview programme, BBC Two, 20 May.
- Women’s FA Cup final, BBC Two, 26 May.
- European Women’s Football Championships preview show, BBC Two, 8 July
- European Championships, BBC Three, 10-28 July, (final on BBC Two)
- FA Women’s Super League programmes – BBC Two
- World Cup qualifying games – BBC Three
This announcement comes on a day when the BBC has released a survey carried out regarding women’s sport. It has been revealed that 84.5% of elite sportswomen do not feel that media coverage of women’s sport is adequate.